Again We Rise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Again We Rise

Master tacticians. Fight side by side with legends of the Evolution of Combat.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Congratulations to Ken for getting a Max Cape! Now go get that Comp Cape!

Magic: The Gathering

Go down 
+2
Capricorn
Roryrai
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Roryrai

Roryrai

Magic: The Gathering Empty
PostSubject: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 11:58 pm

So, I don't know how many of you play or have played Magic: The Gathering. For those that don't know what it is, MTG is a trading card game, similar to Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. (Magic came first, though).

I've recently gotten back into playing Magic, and I would be interested to know if any of the rest of you have played. If so, we can use this thread to discuss all things MTG: cards, strategies, deck-building, etc.

Curently, I'm running two decks, both of which are still in the works (they were built yesterday). I've got a Black/Blue/Green Simic/Golgari deck, focusing on buffing everything up with +1/+1 counters.

My second deck is a Green/White/Black Orzhov/Selesnya life deck.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2013 12:35 am

My green/white/black deck list:

Basilica Screecher x3
Syndicate Enforcer x1
Arbor Elf x2
Borderland Ranger x2
Thragtusk x1
Basilica Guards x1
Healer of the Pride x1
Angelic Skirmisher x1
Centaur Healer x2
Wayfaring Temple x1
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage x1
Vizkopa Guildmage x1
Vizkopa Confessor x1
Treasury Thrull x1
Gideon, Champion of Justice x1

Verdant Haven x3
Gift of Orzhova x1
Bountiful Harvest x2
Farseek x2
Angelic Edict x1
Rootborn Defenses x1
Murder x1
Druid's Deliverance x1
Smite x1
Heroes' Reunion x1
Selesnya Charm x1

Orzhov Keyrune x1
Selesnya Keyrune x1

Plains x9
Forest x7
Swamp x3
Orzhov Guildgate x1
Selesnya Guildgate x1
Grove of the Guardian x2

My want list:
Ajani Goldmane x1
Exquisite Blood x4
Vizkopa Guildmage x3
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice x1
Back to top Go down
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Currently, I'm only running a R/W Aggro deck

Creature (19)
1x Aurelia, the Warleader
4x Boros Elite
1x Boros Reckoner
2x Daring Skyjek
4x Skyknight Legionnaire
2x Spark Trooper
2x Truefire Paladin
2x Wojek Halberdiers

Land (21)
4x Boros Guildgate
8x Mountain
8x Plains
1x Sacred Foundry

Sorcery (4)
4x Mugging

Instant (11)
3x Boros Charm
4x Martial Glory
4x Searing Spear

Enchantment (4)
2x Assemble the Legion
2x Madcap Skills

Planeswalker (1)
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Back to top Go down
Jobine
Recruit
Jobine

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 10:09 pm

When i was young, i played Yu-Gi-Oh.

So i woudlnt know.
Back to top Go down
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Working on Legacy Merfolk and Modern D+T (Death & Taxes)

Merfolk:

4x Æther Vial
4x Lord of Atlantis
4x Master of the Pearl Trident
4x Merfolk Sovereign
4x Merrow Reejery
4x Coralhelm Commander
4x Spell Pierce
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Counterspell
4x Ponder
20x Island

The concept behind Merfolk is that they all bounce off of each other (each giving each other +1/+1), so the more of them you play, the stronger they become. Æther Vial helps with that, allowing you to flash in more Merfolk even when you're tapped out (you can also play them during your opponent's turn to avoid a potential board-wipe). Ponder and Gitaxian Probe keep the deck flowing, constantly drawing cards, and Spell Pierce and Counterspell keep your opponents from playing potential threats.

Death & Taxes:

4x Æther Vial
4x Path to Exile
2x Oblivion Ring
2x Honor of the Pure
1x Day of Judgement
2x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4x Student of Warfare
2x Serra Avenger
1x Restoration Angel
4x Leonin Arbiter
2x Kitchen Finks
4x Flickerwisp
3x Blade Splicer
3x Aven Mindcensor
2x Tectonic Edge
4x Ghost Quarter
16x Plains

The basis of D+T is that it is a white aggro/control deck. The control part comes from shenanigans involving Flickerwisp, Æther Vial, and Oblivion Ring. There's also synergy between Leonin Arbiter, Aven Mindcensor, Ghost Quarter, and Path to Exile. Ghost Quarter and Path to Exile, after they resolve, have your opponent search their library for a basic land. However, Leonin Arbiter and Aven Mindcensor prevent players from searching libraries. This allows you to blow up your opponents' lands and creatures for low cost and no bonus effect for them.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 9:00 pm

My decklists have gone through a lot of changes and they're both almost entirely different than they were previously.

My (almost) finished junk lifegain
The sideboard is structured against mill/removal decks and is still in progress.

Creature
3x Arbor Elf
4x Centaur Healer
4x Healer of the Pride
1x Obzedat, Ghost Council
2x Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
1x Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
4x Vixkopa Guildmage

Instant
4x Heroes Reunion

Sorcery
3x Farseek

Enchantment
3x Oblivion Ring

Artifact
2x Elixir of Immortality

Planeswalker
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Land
6x Forest
7x Plains
3x Swamp
1x Godless Shrine
1x Temple Garden
1x Golgari Guildgate
4x Orzhov Guildgate
1x Selesnya Guildgate

Sideboard
4x Debt to the Deathless
4x Immortal Servitude

What I still need
4x Cathedral Sanctifier (on the way)
3x Cavern of Souls (1 on the way)

My finished Simic deck

Creature
4x Champion of Lambholt
4x Fathom Mage
4x Gyre Sage
4x Vorel of the Hull Clade
4x Wild Beastmaster

Instant
4x Bioshift
4x Biomass Mutation

Sorcery
4x Increasing Savagery

Enchantment
4x Forced Adaptation

Land
11x Forest
8x Island
3x Simic Guildgate

What I might get
4x Mayor of Avabruck

And my Esper control deck
This deck was loosely based off of Sakatsu's Esper control.

Creature
2x Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
1x Nightveil Specter

Instant
3x Azorius Charm
3x Devour Flesh
4x Dissipate
3x Murder
4x Psychic Strike
3x Think Twice
3x Thought Scour

Sorcery
2x Merciless Eviction
2x Mind Grind
2x Supreme Verdict

Enchantment
3x Oblivion Ring

Land
7x Island
5x Plains
6x Swamp
1x Azorius Guildgate
2x Dimir Guildgate
3x Nephalia Drownyard

This is pretty much staying the same. Nothing I really need/want to do to it, though maybe a Sen Triplets for casual play with the deck.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 pm

I've also recently put together an idea for a post-M14 pre-rotation Blood Artist deck. It's still straight proxies right now and will probably go through a lot of changes. Currently it's mono-black but I'd like to perhaps splash it towards the Grixis side so I can use Mystic Retrieval in the sideboard along with Undercity Informer.

The current list is this:

Land
22x Swamp

Creature
4x Blood Artist
4x Crypt Ghast
4x Disciple of Griselbrand
14x Shadowborn Apostle
4x Shadowborn Demon

Instant
4x Killing Wave

Sorcery
4x Rise of the Dark Realms

If I splashed it into Grixis a bit then I could use
4x Undercity Informer
4x Mystic Retrieval

And sacrifice my own creatures to mill myself before pulling Rise of the Dark Realms to bring it all back, then sacrifice it all again to kill you with 4x Blood Artist. The Mystic Retrievals would be to prevent accidentally milling all four Rise of the Dark Realms and screwing over your win condition.
Back to top Go down
Zamochy
Admin
Zamochy

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 2:54 am

Roryrai wrote:
I've also recently put together an idea for a post-M14 pre-rotation Blood Artist deck. It's still straight proxies right now and will probably go through a lot of changes. Currently it's mono-black but I'd like to perhaps splash it towards the Grixis side so I can use Mystic Retrieval in the sideboard along with Undercity Informer.

The current list is this:

Land
22x Swamp

Creature
4x Blood Artist
4x Crypt Ghast
4x Disciple of Griselbrand
14x Shadowborn Apostle
4x Shadowborn Demon

Instant
4x Killing Wave

Sorcery
4x Rise of the Dark Realms

If I splashed it into Grixis a bit then I could use
4x Undercity Informer
4x Mystic Retrieval

And sacrifice my own creatures to mill myself before pulling Rise of the Dark Realms to bring it all back, then sacrifice it all again to kill you with 4x Blood Artist. The Mystic Retrievals would be to prevent accidentally milling all four Rise of the Dark Realms and screwing over your win condition.

Magic: The Gathering Air_pu10
Back to top Go down
https://againwerise.forumotion.com
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Been a while since people have posted here. I've finished a list for Legacy Merfolk and an EDH deck

Merfolk

Land
2 Cavern of Souls
12 Island
3 Mutavault
3 Wasteland

Creatures
2 Coralhelm Commander
4 Cursecatcher
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
2 Merrow Reejerey
2 Phantasmal Image
3 Silvergill Adept

Other Spells
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
2 Spell Pierce
3 Standstill
2 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Æther Vial

In case you're wondering, this does cost a lot. Average cost of this deck is ~$1,000 (Blame Force of Will, Wasteland, and Mutavault)

Also, for your Simic deck, don't put in Mayor of Avrabuck. He's used specifically for the Naya Humans deck list, and outside of that, he's not that useful.

Also, I remembered why B/W/G is called "Junk": the color combo became popular after a deck with those colors, called "PT Junk" because none of the cards really worked well together, achieved Top 8 even though it looked like it shouldn't (not because it wasn't good, but because there was no synergy).
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Interesting.

As for the Mayor of Avabruck, the only reason I've considered it is because every other creature is a human except Gyre Sage, and because if it flips then it'll stat sending out tokens for the Beastmaster and Biomass Mutation.
Back to top Go down
hobbit56

hobbit56

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 6:35 pm

pffft

Dual master ftw.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 am

So sometime this summer they're changing the legend rule such that it only applies to each person's side of the battlefield, and that when you have multiple legends of the same name, you choose one and sacrifice the others.

What this means is that we can now have infinite combat phases: 

1. Cipher Stolen Identity on a creature that's unblockable.
2. Play Aurelia the Warleader.
3. Attack for the first time that turn with Aurelia.
4. Recast Stolen Identity copying Aurelia.
5. Sacrifice the old Aurelia and keep the new one.
6. Attack with the new Aurelia for the first time that turn.
7. Recast Stolen Identity copying Aurelia...etc.

And of course this is completely standard, as well.
Back to top Go down
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Interesting. I'm sure someone will try it, but I doubt it will ever catch on. Not only is Stolen Identity hard to cast, so is Aurelia. People will also just kill the unblockable creature (speaking of which, unblockable is being changed, too, from "unblockable" to "can't be blocked" (oddly enough, this is going back to an older wording)) with things like Far//Away, bounce effects, and any of the other kill spells.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I agree it'd difficult to pull off; you'd have to have two of each color mana and then it'd still take a couple turns. But if you gave the unblockable creature hexproof and then cast Aurelia at the last second, with counterspells in hand, it might work. Not something I'd try personally, I was never a fan of red, but I'm sure people will do it.
Back to top Go down
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Getting the colors isn't a problem; with 3 dual lands for each color combination in Standard currently, we've never had better color fixing. The reason people won't use it is because... why? In R/W, you're usually aggro, wanting to win before turn 6. Aurelia completely goes against that, and you have to wait til turn 6 to play her, which by then you should've won. On the other end of the spectrum, there's R/W/U control, but they don't play Aurelia because she goes against the idea that control has, which is to not lose, instead of to win. American control usually wins by playing Ætherling or Assemble the Legion to wear you down, not try to blow you out with Aurelia.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm

Well yes. Of course there's still that middle ground which could take bits of both ideas, trying to not lose until the point where it could be played.
Back to top Go down
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 12:50 pm

You mean Midrange. Midrange won't use R/W/U, because there are so many better colors. Jund (R/B/G) is strictly better, as it has all the kill spells, removal, and beaters that Midrange needs.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm not saying it's practical. I'm just saying it's doable.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 1:03 pm

So I've just put together most of a new deck for casual, one that's not supposed to be practical but that's designed to be entertaining when it wins. This is the list I'm currently looking at, I have a slightly different one in my possession as of right now because I did some playtesting after I bought the cards and made a few tweaks to it.

Instant
4x Azorius Charm
1x Burst of Strength
2x Dissipate
4x Muddle the Mixture

Sorcery
3x Gather the Townsfolk
1x Mind Grind
1x Time Warp

Enchantment
4x Quicksilver Dagger

Creature
4x Drift of Phantasms
3x Galvanic Alchemist
4x Grand Architect
3x Pili-Pala

Land
12x Island
6x Mountain
6x Plains

Artifact
2x Elixir of Immortality

The whole point is to have a deck that can infinitely loop everything in the game. I may knock down the land count due to the nature of the infinite loop of mana. Currently the cards I'm missing are Time Warp, which my store didn't have in stock, as well as the two transmute cards, Drift of Phantasms and Muddle the Mixture, which I discovered I'll need so that I can tutor for the pieces of the combo I'm missing.
Back to top Go down
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 pm

Roryrai wrote:
one that's not supposed to be practical but that's designed to be entertaining when it wins.

Sounds like EDH to me Razz. 1 copy of everything except Basic Land. You have a "General" that is a Legendary Creature. The spells and land in your deck can only be of those specific colors (so in my Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts EDH deck, I can only play black or white spells or artifacts that have no colors other than black or white in them, including abilities or mana-tapping (so no Dimir Keyrune in a black/white deck)).

For the upcoming standard format, I decided to come up with a new deck. It's black/green control with a splash of blue for Dimir Charm and some other small stuff.

Land
2 Breeding Pool
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
1 Island
2 Mutavault
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Shimmering Grotto
4 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

Creatures
4 Deathrite Shaman
2 Rot Farm Skeleton

Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Deadbridge Chant
4 Dimir Charm
4 Doom Blade
2 Gaze of Granite
2 Haunted Plate Mail
2 Putrefy
4 Sign in Blood
4 Treasured Find
2 Vraska the Unseen
2 Whispering Madness

Sideboard
1 Cancel
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Devour Flesh
2 Dispel
3 Duress
1 Pithing Needle
2 Syncopate
2 Woodlot Crawler
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm just looking for M14 to come out so I can get Savage Summoning and build a Shadowborn Apostle deck, which would probably look something like this:

4x Shadowborn Demon
20x Swamp
36x Shadowborn Apostle

Could always have different demons, pretty much any would do.

And yeah, the reason I don't play EDH is because it just seems way too random for me.
Back to top Go down
Roryrai

Roryrai

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 2:04 pm

So I was just looking over the M14 spoils again, and I noticed we're going to have a new stick to play in Standard now with Elite Arcanist. Should be interesting, especially since it's a stick for any instant, unlike Isochron Scepter which had to be CMC 2 or less.
Back to top Go down
Capricorn
Deputy
Capricorn

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Modern Merfolk

Creatures
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Silvergill Adept
3 Merrow Reejerey
2 Coralhelm Commander
2 Cursecatcher
2 Phantasmal Image

Spells
4 Æther Vial
4 Spell Pierce
4 Remand
3 Spreading Seas
3 Spell Snare
1 Dismember

Land
15 Island
4 Mutavault
1 Cavern of Souls

Sideboard
1 Spreading Seas
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Annul
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Echoing Truth
2 Dispel
2 Tidebender Mage
3 Vapor Snag

With Theros coming out, I'm thinking of replacing Cursecatcher and Coralhelm Commander with Thassa, God of the Sea and Master of Waves.
Back to top Go down
Sindr0me

Sindr0me

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Am I the only person who looked at each of these posts and went "uhhhh.....what the hell is this?"
Back to top Go down
Zamochy
Admin
Zamochy

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Sindr0me wrote:
Am I the only person who looked at each of these posts and went "uhhhh.....what the hell is this?"
Don't worry, I did that same thing.
Back to top Go down
https://againwerise.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magic: The Gathering   Magic: The Gathering I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magic: The Gathering
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Again We Rise :: Off-Topic :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: